Friday, January 4, 2013

West Side, Stony Clove


 
Winter 2011-2012 was a complete dud.  Temps held steady in the mid-40’s, there were only a couple of snow “dustings”, and even something as reliable as waking up to a morning frost was rare occurrence.  Days Skiing, Zero.  Days Ice Climbing, One.  Winter 2012-2013 is still a bit on the warm side but definitely much colder than the previous year.  Temps in New Jersey hover in the mid-to-upper 30s, occasionally dropping into the 20s.  But up north, in the Catskills, it’s full on winter with at least a foot of snow pack and glorious ice covered rock.   

My partner for the day is Bigfoot Mountain Guide, Ryan Stefiuk.  I first met Ryan back in January 2012 for a day of Catskills Ice Climbing and again in September for a marathon day of 5.fun classic climbing at The Gunks.  Ryan is a very experienced, very accomplished, and very proficient climber with an incredible amount of knowledge and I’ve adopted him as a mentor.  When we met up that morning in Saugerties and began loading gear into my trunk I noticed how ridiculously his gargantuan-size 15 boots (hence the moniker, Bigfoot) dwarf my average size-9 boots.  I felt sort of like John Connor’s character from Terminator 2 when he realized the cyborg killing machine played by Arnold Schwarzenegger would be his personal body guard.

This would be my third Catskills trip, fourth ice climbing experience.  I first climbed Stony Clove’s East Side back in February 2011 with my wife.  Later, in March 2011, while visiting Smuggler’s Notch my wife and I climbed a man-made ice wall (set over an outdoor gym-climbing wall).  And last year’s visit to the Dark Side at Platte Cove with Ryan.  For this trip, we went to Stony Clove’s West Side.  All routes were lead by Ryan, with me following and cleaning gear.  The climbs we did were Climax, WI2+, Ice Capades, WI2+, The Entertainer, WI3+, and Ron’s Gully, WI2+ (grades found on Mountain Project, conditions may + or – a grade).
 
 
 

 
Starting off I was a bit awkward.  I quickly tired my hands on the first climb by overgripping my tools.  Not so much from holding on to them for dear life as it was bad technique and a brand new pair of heavy gloves.  Ryan advised me on gripping the tools lower and letting the leashes do more of the work.  I felt much better on the second route and while on its steeper sections I found my focus and fell into a rhythm.  Our third climb, The Entertainer (between 3+ and 4- that day), Ryan suggested that if needed to I could deviate from his direct line and take the path of least resistance, even to leave some of the screws for him to clean on rappel.  I almost took it as a challenge and charged up the route, attacking the bulges and making it a matter of pride that I retrieve every piece of gear.  It was an ugly grovel and I had to call take several times, but I managed to top out with each and every screw and draw, completely exhausted.  We finished the day with a climb on Ron’s Gully.  Just before the anchors there was a short bulge that looked like a worthwhile challenge.  I found myself in a very awkward foot stance and trying to score a solid front point placement with limited room to kick and repeatedly bashed my knees.  After lowering, Ryan was able to break down for me what I was doing wrong, and then show me the proper way to advance from the position I was in.  Problem is that I’m used to rock climbing and not much of it transfers to ice.  Ice and Rock are limited in their similarities.  For example, standing on your toes works great on rock but on ice it will send you sliding.  Learning these sort things and being able to execute them takes a great deal of time, a whole lot of practice, and a good deal of patience. 
 

 







 




But despite some initial difficulties and having to scratch and crawl my way up through a few sections, I had a really good time.  You would think from my account of the day I was strictly focused on technique but the honest truth is that I was there just to be there and climbed without any expectations of performance.  And again, it’s only my fourth time.  Ice Season isn’t always a given.  Ice is a fickle medium that relies on so many variables that it should be considered a blessing when it does form and those who climb it should focus on making it as enjoyable as possible.  I am happy that I was introduced to ice climbing, happy to have had a chance to go ice climbing, and am very hopeful to continue ice climbing.   

 




 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment