Monday, July 1, 2013

Bad Boys


How I found Andrew is a long story.  But to make that long story short, let’s just say his involvement with a certain New Jersey access-sensitive climbing area got my attention.  And when I reached out to him to discuss I found out that we are practically neighbors, living just a few miles from each other.   


June 2013 set the record for rainfall in New Jersey.  Following my last post, and climb, I was determined to find the time to do some climbing in an effort to begin my return to form.  Blame it on the rain as well as the usual scheduling conflicts, Andrew and I were having a hard time meeting up.  I was on vacation the last week of June and completely disconnected myself from my cell phone, Facebook, and the internet.  Upon my return, I had several emails from Andrew who was trying to meet up (despite the record rainfall, the days of my vacation were sunny and bright).  I told Andrew we would definitely without a doubt climb on Sunday, and if it rained we would gym climb.


A little bit more about Andrew…he’s a lot like me in terms of wanting to take advantage of all the climbing NJ has to offer.  There’s not much in this overcrowded and over-developed state, but that’s not to say there’s nothing to climb.  In fact, there are several climbing gems but in an overcrowded and over-developed state like NJ there are liability laws, property lines, and plenty of folks who view climbers as trespassers and potential lawsuits.  Andrew has either been to, or knows of, many of these forbidden locations.  I personally have only been to a couple, but definitely know of the majority of Jersey’s legal, illegal, and questionable climbing locations.  Neither one of us encourage breaking the law and trespassing on private property or putting access-sensitive climbing areas at risk.  But for those places where there aren’t any obvious signs that clearly state “no trespassing” or “no climbing” if one chooses to go in stealthily, climb quietly, and leave without a trace…then I say go for it. 
 

This past Sunday the humidity was at brutal 98% but Andrew and I got a 7am start at a local access-questionable climbing area that is currently under a heavy curtain of summer leaves, protecting the cliff and active climbers from view.  The cliff is just over 30 feet tall with about a dozen routes, mostly in the 5.8 - 5.10+ range.  The climbing is pumpy and strenuous as the rock is slightly overhanging and the holds are mostly rounded so it’s very difficult to get a positive grip.  There is a second cliff a few hundred yards away but this time of year it is very wet and mossy (I climbed an ice route here earlier this year).  I was surprised that someone as well-traveled as Andrew had never visited this cliff; it’s less than 30 minutes from where we live!  Andrew was very impressed with the challenging climbing and like me, will use this area as an “outdoor gym” to train on its physically challenging routes.       


After a few hours of climbing, pulling, falling, hanging, and sweating, both of us were exhausted and left satisfied with our morning’s efforts.  The two of us will definitely be climbing together and are already discussing plans for the coming weeks to visit the particular area he is involved with (his involvement includes route cleaning, trail maintenance, as well as an open-discussion with the land-owner who has allowed that the area be under a temporary “climbing assessment”). 


For me it was exactly the kind of day I needed to rekindle my love for climbing.  I was physically challenged, socially engaged, and didn’t have to battle with my fear of heights (climbing 30 feet off the ground).  Summer is definitely the slow time of year for climbing but I’m going to continue to make time when possible and focus on finding enjoyment in this thing I do.       

No comments:

Post a Comment